Brent Allen - Race Announcer/Commentator
Follow me on Facebook:
I became a regular on a nationally syndicated radio show in Charlotte, NC in 1998. The show basically had me talk about all the wild endurance sports I was competing in and organized interviews with top iconic athletes in our sport. This opened the door for me to create a niche in race announcing, TV, webcast, and PR.
Brent created Participate in Life multi-sport marketing and endurance sport coaching in 1999 based in Charlotte, NC. In 2002 he was brought out to California by a large triathlon event management company to develop and create several parts of their existing business as well as to create several new business models. Brent held a USA Triathlon expert level coaching certification from 2000-2010 (coaching since 1997) and has directed over 100+ USAT Sanctioned Triathlon and Open water swim camps/clinics. Brent race announces and provides consulting services in this industry in central/ northern California and Hawaii. Brent has raced in all types of endurance sports over the years including Ironman triathlons, ultra-marathons, off-road triathlons, cycling, mountain biking, adventure racing, and ocean sports (Surf-Stand Up Paddle and Prone paddling)."Variety is the spice of life".
Brent and his wife Kelley reside in Carmel-by-sea, California. You can usually find Brent in one of 3 places, either working at an event in endurance sports, traveling with Kelley or in the ocean surfing or paddling.
My current reintroduction into race announcing/commentating:
After a trip around the world in 2008 Brent decided to open the door to doing some announcing work as an independent contractor (prompted by his wife Kelley). I really didn't know if this was something I wanted to do, but every once and a while I would fill in or work with friends (announcers) at events in and out of California. After managing race announcing, webcast, TV, PR, Media, pro-liaison, conducting training camps/clinics etc. at major endurance events from 2002-2006 I was kind of burned out on the event scene.
In 2010 I started to realize how much I enjoyed just race announcing/commentating, which is part of what I was doing business wise from 1999-2001 in North Carolina/California/Hawaii. In a couple of years (2009-2010) I went from a few events to 25-30 events. One of the inherent problems of doing this type of work is getting scheduled up and new opportunities are blocked because of existing clients (events/dates). The other block of my time goes into consulting and promotional work in the lifestyle sports industry.
What makes me different?
- I have competed in endurance events since 1994 and purposely trained for and done many different types as a way to learn through doing process. I have an intimate knowledge of what athletes are experiencing at events.
- The KEY elements I provide are information to reduce anxiety for the athletes on race day, inform/educate the crowd on the specific sport. Entertain all involved through commentary, interviews, great music choices, and recognize the athletes, sponsors, and local community. *inform*educate*entertain.
- I have coached in endurance sport since 1997 (individuals, camps clinics, and currently some USAT junior elite camps).
- Real world experience having managed major aspects and announced at some of the biggest events in endurance sports. This has allowed me to have a HIGH level of knowledge regarding details and deadlines.
- I have 15 years experience working with professional, elite and Olympic level athletes. Having worked as a Professional liaison for major endurance events, helped athletes at our Olympic training centers and provided individual consulting for elite athletes.
- Prior to building my work in sport I worked in the corporate world and law enforcement. What's funny is the high level training and experience from these professional environments really parlayed well into being a very effective speaker (announcing/commentating/TV etc.).
- Voice * you either have a voice that plays well to listeners or you don't. I would like to think my humor is somehow linked to one of my relatives Will Rodgers. Yes I have an accent that is fading some (Oklahoma/North Carolina). I have lived in 2 locations in California Palos Verdes (1965-1971) Carmel by the sea 2002-present.
- I have gained experience and knowledge over the years from other related work purposely done to learn more about my new professional life: Life Guard at Mecklenburg Aquatic Center, Manager Bicycles South, and Ocean Rescue Training with the California State Lifeguard program. Red Cross Life Guard certifications â€"CPR-First Aid (NC, CA).
- I am very grateful to get the opportunity to make a positive impact with announcing etc. Making people feel good about their accomplishment, promoting a healthy life style and in general being stoked on life.
- If you would like to get in touch with me regarding; email firstname.lastname@example.org
I can also be found on Face Book. Most all of my work is by reference from event companies and other race announcers.
- Road Bike endurance event:
- The Assault on Mt. Mitchell 102 miles (considered one of the toughest single day road cycling events in the US).SC/NC
- Bicycle South Shop ride Charlotte, NC –Myrtle Beach ,SC 180 miles.
- Mountain Bike events:
- xThe Scott Tinley extreme 24 MTB race.CA
- Xterra MTB race. VA
- Off-Road Triathlon:
- Xterra World Championship Maui. HI
- Xterra Richmond. VA
- Crowder’s Mountain 50KM Trail Run. NC
- Lancaster Canal 50KM Trail Run. SC
- The JFK 50 Mile Ultra-Marathon. MD
- Ironman Triathlons:
- Ironman Canada.
- The Vineman Ironman. CA
- Adventure Racing:
- CAT adventure race camp Estes Park, CO. 24 hour race with course elevation lo 7,500ft hi 10,000ft.
- Stand Up Paddle/Prone paddleboard Ocean racing:
- The Jay Moriarity Memorial paddleboard race 2 mile prone -12 mile SUP. CA
- Pier to Pier Prone Paddleboard 5 mile. CA
- Dolphin Paddle board race 9 mile SUP. CA
- Molokai2Oahu 32 mile paddleboard world championship (3 man relay 14ft SUP)HI
- Distance SUP paddles Monterey Peninsula & Lake Tahoe. CA
- Endurance Sport Coaching NC/CA
- Individual coaching athletes to 30 Ironman & Half Ironman triathlon finishes. 100% success all athletes, including spots to the Hawaiian IM world Championship.NC
- Team in Training Triathlon.NC
- Created /developed /managed/coached over 100 USA Triathlon certified camps/clinics and other in multisport and open-water swimming.
- USA Triathlon certified coach level 1 / level 2 (expert) 10 years.
- Consulting USAT Elite and Junior elite development training. Chula Vista, CA Olympic Training Center and Colorado Springs Olympic Training Center (and other).
- Red Cross Certified Lifeguard ,CPR ,and First Aid.NC/CA
- California State Lifeguard training Monterey-Huntington Beach, CA.
- WPA/Paddle fit Pro certified Stand Up Paddle Instructor. CA
- Professional Triathletes/Olympians/and other elite athletes:
- Pro-Liaison for Major Multi-Sport events California. Working with over 1,500 elite triathletes.
- Direct individual endurance sport athlete representation and consultation. NC/CA
Race Announcing/Commentating/Emcee (some events included managing the announcing, pr, and media, pro-liaison*pro-series, webcast, TV, other):
- Alcatraz Sharkfest Swim (San Francisco) new 2012
- The Giant 5 mile and 5km (San Jose Municipal Stadium home of the Minor League San jose Giants) new 2012
- The Half Moon Bay International Marathon â€" Half Marathon (10km-5km) new 2012
- The Ranch Romp Mud Run and Obstacle Course â€" Hollister, CA new 2012
- The John Boy & Billy Big Show (nationally syndicated radio program) 1998-2000 *it sounds crazy, but they had me on the show regarding racing at the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon 1998. Then was on regularly to talk about all the crazy endurance events I was racing and coordinate interviews with iconic figures in endurance sports. I owe them allot and learned allot...
- ITU World Championships for Duathlon (NC) 1999
- Ironman World Championship (Hawaii) Assist Announcer Whit Raymond 1999 & 2002
- The Latta Plantation Triathlon (NC) 2000
- The Wildflower Triathlon Festival (One of the largest triathlon/festivals in the world) 2002-2006
- The Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon*IMG (2001-2006)
- The Triathlon at Pacific Grove 2001-2005
- Xterra (MTB Triathlon) USA Championship Lake Tahoe 2001
- Scott Tinley Adventures Mountain bike Triathlon etc. 1999 *2002-2005 (NC, CA)
- The Treasure Island Triathlon (current name The San Francisco Triathlon @ Treasure Island) (2001-2005) included ITU USA Pro-Championship 1 year.
- The Alcatraz Challenge (swim/run or swim) (2006-2007)
- Bike Magazine Industry Awards (Sea Otter Classic â€"Monterey, CA) 2007
- The Big Sur Â½ Marathon (Monterey, CA) 2003-2004* 2009-present
- The Big Sur International Marathon 2009-present
- The Big Sur Mud Run 2009-present
- Muddy Buddy *ride & run series obstacle course* 2009-2010 (CA, AZ, TX)
- *The Mayors Run (Gavin Newsome) San Francisco AT&T Park â€"Finish in Candlestick Park 2007
- The Oakland Running Festival (Marathon*Half Marathon) 2010-present
- The Santa Cruz Half Marathon 2010-present
- The Jungle Run Half Marathon (Los Gatos, CA) 2010-present
- The Modesto Midnight Half Marathon 2010
- The Xterra USA Trail Running Championship Bend, OR 2010
- The Big Kahuna Long Course Triathlon (Santa Cruz, CA) 2007* 2009-Present
- The Big Kahuna Ocean Challenge (Santa Cruz, CA) 2010
- The Silicon Valley Triathlon (San Jose) 2010
- The Morgan Hill Sprint Triathlon (2010)
- The Metro Triathlon (San Jose) 2011-present
- The Reservoir Triathlon (Morgan Hill, CA) 2010-present
- The Tri-for fun triathlon series and Tri-for-Real Triathlon (Pleasanton, CA) 2007*2010-2011
- The Lake Tahoe Marathon (lots of distances of runs) 2010-present
- The Maui Ocean Front Marathon (Maui, HI) 2011-present
- City of San Ramon *Run San Ramon 4th of July run *Bah Humbug 5km December 2010-present
- The Surftech Jay Moriarity memorial paddleboard race (Santa Cruz, CA) 2010-Present
- The Quicksilver Tahoe-Nalu Paddle Board Race weekend (Lake Tahoe) 2010
- The Covewater Classic paddleboard race (Capitola, CA) 2011
- The Surftech SUP shoot-out (steamer lane) and Dual-athlon Paddle run (Santa Cruz, CA) 2011-present
- The Morgan Hill Marathon & Half Marathon (Morgan Hill, CA) 2010-Present
- Xterra (Mountain Bike Triathlon and trail runs) Lake Tahoe 2011-present
- Lake Tahoe Triathlon *New 2012
- San Francisco Giants Â½ Marathon (AT&T Park) *New 2012
- Primo's Run for Education Â½ Marathon San Ramon, CA *New 2012
Note: I purposely have created more of a regional niche in central/northern California and Hawaii for race announcing/commentating. It blends well with my consulting/promotional work and travel. I am always happy to speak with event companies in other locations. If the price is right" will travel".
Fee Base: My fees are based on several different criteria. Travel cost, location, event type, size of event (how many participants), preparation *information/consult time prior to event, hours on site announcing, the amount of days (such as a multi-day festival). Etc. Minimum fee is $500 (small event close to Carmel).
What I do and don't provide: (Do) my expertise announcing/commentating / entertainment, music appropriate for the event (loaded in an IPod played on sound system). (Don't) Sound equipment (most event companies have their own/rent equipment or hire a professional sound company) The Timing Company events hire have all the data/laptops and information that the announcers use through-out events â€"especially when athletes cross the finish line. South Valley Endurance has the current cutting edge timing equipment and several levels different types of information that can be provided.